April 06, 2011

Oh Deer!

So if you haven't heard yet, the release date for All Things Bright and Beautiful has been moved down to June 14th.
(It'll make exam time a lot less depressing, that's for sure.)

http://owlcitymusic.com/atbab


And make sure to vote for your favourite song - he's released nice juicy previews of Dreams Don't Turn to Dust, Alligator Sky (which is already out, buy it on iTunes!), Galaxies, and Deer in the Headlights.

I suppose what I've got here is my first impression of these songs.



Dreams Don't Turn to Dust

The first time I heard it, it was that little segment in the "Making of All Things Bright and Beautiful" video. What I really love about this song is how dynamic his voice is, and that little bloopy sound during the chorus.

"Splash down in the silver screen
Into a deep dramatic scene.
I swim through the theatre -
Or maybe, I'm just a dreamer."

However, I sorta miss that electronic feel to the music - most of it seems to be that clubby beat, violin, and guitar now.


Alligator Sky

It starts off with a revving-up sound, and perhaps it's necessary to boot up all that awesomeness. I'm pretty sure everyone's heard this song by now.

"Where was I when the rockets came to life
And carried you away, into the alligator sky?
Even though I'll never know what's up ahead,
I'm never letting go."
The first time I heard it, one of the things that became obvious to me was that he sounded... different. It took me a while to place it, but I finally have it: confidence.
Every time it plays I stop, drop whatever I'm holding (unless it's a hot bowl of soup) and stare out the window, smiling. It's got that dreamy, surreal and floaty quality to it, and the rap "grounds" it for me, I suppose, as well as adding a bit more of a beat to it.


Galaxies

The preview starts with a bunch of violins making things all intense.
...and then the beat kicks in and all of a sudden your foot can't keep still...

"Dear God,
You're the only North star
I would follow this far..."

I was going to vote for this one, because of that awesome clubby beat - and those "da da da"s! I also love the effects he placed on his voice when he says "galaxies".


Deer in the Headlights

It starts out awesome and only proceeds to get better.

"Met a girl in the parking lot,
And all I did was say hello!
Her pepperspray made it rather hard
For me to walk her home..."

Basically, it's about Adam Young getting beaten up by a girl. This song is everything I loved about his earlier albums, and so much more. The chorus is the kind that sweeps you off your feet, and, in my case, drops jaws and glazes eyes.

My vote went to the deer.




I can't wait for the next single!

4 comments:

  1. I totally agree! Deer in the Headlights is my favourite. I love the powerchord guitar blasts!
    It's kinda sad that the date has been changed. :(
    But I'm sure it's all in good reason. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I voted for Deer in the Headlights too... Awesomeness. Owl City Rox

    ReplyDelete
  3. I also miss the electronic-ness. But these new changes just adds variety! And I also first found his voice remarkably different when he released Peppermint Winter; that one line where he yells "WARM!!" just about knocked me off my feet! Confidence is indeed the word. I voted for Deer in the Headlights also because I liked the picture he paints in it: little shy Adam holding this sweet little girl's elbow while her other hand has pepper spray poised and ready!! I love it! Nice entry, Jaunea!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hey Jaunea,
    It is true, you have a knack for writing. I was directed to your blog from owl City's, and I have to say you know you're words. You have a gift for making things down to earth without sounding insipid. Great stuff. Feel free to share this (or not) on your blog sometime in the future:
    Search: "Owl City Game" on Youtube.

    ReplyDelete