February 13, 2011

Citizen Class

So after looking through tons of Owl City stuff via DeviantArt, Youtube, Google, forums, etcetera, I feel confident enough to say that not all of us Owl City fans are cut from the same cloth (I mean it in the best way possible).
Now, of course, we're all united underneath a single banner of Adam's awe inspiring awesomeness, and when called to do so any one of us will take up verbal arms and combat against blasphemisers and wrongdoers who dare enter our domain, but we do have little civil wars going on here.


First, we have our Fireflies fans - yes, the ones who have only ever heard Fireflies and loved it enough to not dig any deeper into the gold mine they've scratched the surface of. They're the ones commenting on Fireflies videos saying how much they love this song and Owl City. They're the vacationers, hopping into the City for a quick listen but never truly settling down. This group doesn't cause trouble and doesn't fight back, although they are rather subject to bullying since the more obsessed members like to show off their superiority. Personally, I have no problems with this class except a sense of regret that they didn't decide to keep listening and search for other songs.


Then, we have the Ocean Eyes Citizens, quite different from the Fireflies group except for the fact that, most likely, the first song they heard was Fireflies. Just because they're grouped into "Ocean Eyes" doesn't mean that they only like songs in that album, though - most Ocean Eyes fans love all the songs Owl City makes.
The more passive fans are content to comment with how much they love all Adam's music. The more obsessed fans will often be the ones fighting criticizers of Owl City, and will also be the ones dragging unwilling friends to concerts, or shoving Owl City music at people who haven't heard Adam's music yet. They're the ones who screech into the owlery with flashy feathers and settle and mingle and participate with a deadly passion. A lot of the time, they long to be one of the last group, even though they know they cannot.


This last group is none other than the Of June/Maybe I'm Dreaming Citizens. These guys have lived in this City for as long as anyone can remember, trying to get the rest of the world to come join them. Heck, they may even be the ones who first heard his songs on that little MySpace and spread it. They have my admiration and envy for having known Adam for so long, and probably got the chance to meet him at his earlier concerts. These people will post on Youtube saying "Thumbs up if you loved Adam before Fireflies!!!" or something to the effect, and you'll see them with a couple dozen thumbs up because, even though most people who did thumbs up were OEC, they usually want to make themselves believe they are of this class.
The only problem I have with this class is that, often, they have a superiority complex, saying that they're the "true fans" and stuff. Seriously. I love him as much as you, I promise, I just didn't get that chance to hear him before he was popular.



As for me, I'm throwing my lot in with the Ocean Eyes class, because I don't belong anywhere else, and the first song I did hear from Adam was, indeed, Fireflies.

Hoot hoot.

1 comment:

  1. Hoot hoot. :)

    I am an Ocean Eyes citizen for sure. The very first time I heard Fireflies was on his website after noticing that one of my friends had posted a status message saying she was listening to Owl City, and I was curious.

    I love reading your blog entries, they're quite interesting and satisfy my fangirlishness by enabling me to relate to everything you say. xD

    ReplyDelete